Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rest Day Rant

Since I've definitely been lacking controversy recently I thought this was an especially appropriate discussion topic considering the fact that we did a complex a few days ago. Head over to THIS LINK and watch the last video, "Ferruggia Complex." I have 2 thoughts:

1) If I ever see any of my athletes moving that shitty on the o-lifts with just the barbell, with more than a week of experience, I will probably stab myself in the eye with a soldering iron. I mean, really, you're doing a video for millions to watch on a website called TESTOSTERONE Nation, and you can't do an OHS with 45 fracking pounds without cringing? Really?! Maybe it's time to stop whatever bro-science program you've got going on and actually train. Like, with weight. And not the oh-so-cute sky blue DBs that you bought at Tar-jay.

2) I thought Olympic lifts weren't supposed to be done for high reps? It's supposed to be dangerous right? Or that they are supposed to be used ONLY for developing explosive power since there are just so many other, and better apparently, ways of getting in the cardio? Or was it that they should only be practiced perfectly otherwise bad motor patterns will be ingrained that will be difficult to overcome later? Or do those criticisms only only apply when CrossFitters use high-rep O-lifts with our dangerous and sloppy technique (Hint: Refer back to #1)?

This seems to be a reoccurring pattern that is becoming more and more evident every single day across teh internetz. Bash CrossFit, then take the exact same aspects that you bashed and say, "Psh, people have been training like that forever. I've been doing complexes like this for years..." while utterly disregarding the fact that EVERYONE was on the bandwagon just a few short months ago. I didn't hear anyone stepping up to the plate and saying that they use high-rep O-lifts in their training too when the haters came out. I mean, legit training should be legit training. But instead of defending something that they've been "using forever," they just let it go so as not to get roped in as a CrossFit fanboy. Now they just look like jackasses, at least to those of us who actually pay attention to such meaningless drivel. While I certainly agree that there are very few legitimately new training ideas in the world of weight training, that has very little to do with my point. And if you don't see the point, then I guess you can go back to your uber-safe and "fat shredding" O-lifting complexes now.

Post thoughts to comments.

2 comments:

Garrett said...

Why would he post such an embarrasing video. Great stuff, he made me feel a lot better about myself. Thank you "Testosterone Todd" guy.

BryanS said...

Wow..just..I dont know what to say. I literally shook my head at my computer. Im not the perfect example when it comes to form but compared to him Im a guarenteed gold in the olympics.