Thursday, December 31, 2009

Friday, 1 January 2010

If you aren't doing the Colossal Challenge this weekend, do the following:

Skill Work:
- Muscle Snatch - Heavy Single
- Power Clean + 2 Front Squats + 2 Split Jerks - 65% x 1 x 3

Strength:
Deadlift - Set a new 5 Rep Max

WOD:
AMRAP in 10 minutes:
- 5 Overhead Squats, Bodyweight
- 5 Pullups, 50 lbs
(Compare to 6 June 2009)

So, what's your New Year's resolution? Mine is to finally go truly Paleo (well, more like 80-90%). For the next month, I am going to follow The Whole30 Challenge and go completely strict for 30 days to help my body completely remove all of the junk and recover. If anyone wants to join me, I'll be posting my daily intake to the comments, feel free to do the same.

To start off on the right foot, I've downloaded 2 Paleo receipe books from The Performance Menu. For the record, making spaghetti out of spaghetti squash is amazing!

***Note: I realized that posting the Colossal Challenge WODs at noon Hawaii time doesn't really give those of you back in Bahrain adequate time to prepare. So with that said, the WODs will be posted at 7am tomorrow morning.

8 comments:

Garrett said...

Hey buddy,

I'll do the 30 day paleo thing with you, I always wanted to try it but never wanted to do it alone. A few questions though:

1. What are the 2 books you downloaded? I saw one from your link, it looked pretty informative, is that book the better of the 2?

2. Can I eat lima beans? That Melissa chick seemed pretty adamant about not eating beans but they seem good for you, right?

3. I understand that c-milk is out for the next 30 days, not to happy about that Alex :(

4. What should I be posting; my meals and overall intake of calories? cause the oasis doesn't offer me that luxury of nutritional facts.

I'm like 60:40 on this dude: 60% pissed off because I will have 0 cheat days for a month; 40% looking forward to the outcome.

-Garrett

zorg said...

Newb question: the percentages you're posting, do they refer to bodyweight or to my 1RM?

Garrett said...

1RM/heavy single bro,

If I'm wrong I'm sure Alex will correct me.

CFBF said...

G,

1) The 2 books are volumes 1 and 2 of Cooking for Health and Performance. I linked to Volume 1, and Volume 2 can be found in the store as well.
2) Lima beans are a legume, so they're out...speaking of legumes, peanuts are a legume, so they're out too.
3) Me either. :-(
4) I am doing this as an unweighed and unmeasured diet (ala Robb Wolf). So I will simply post the Protein, Fat, and Carb for each meal (i.e.: Protein - Extra Lean Ground Beef, Fat - avocato and olive oil, Carb - spaghetti squash and homemade tomato sauce). I'm sure that I'll refine my posts as we go along.

Zorg,

In the skill work, the percentages are based on your 1RM for whichever lift is posted. In the WODs, the percentage will be based on bodyweight (and will be annotated as such).

- Alex

Garrett said...

Alright bro lets do this.

I got a feeling that this is going to be a very rough 30 days for me.

CFBF said...

Yippy...this'll be fun. You doing the Challenge this weekend?

- Alex

Garrett said...

I don't know about fun, I'm a lil fat kid at heart.

I don't have a camera out here and I'm not sure Bahrain is cool with filming on base. But when I get home in February I'll be doing all your challenges I'm looking forward to them. This one looks like a lot of fun too. I bought Melissa an expensive video camera which she hardly uses so I'll put it to good use when I get home.

zorg said...

Skill Work:
- Muscle Snatch - Heavy Single 1 x 44,5 kg
- Power Clean + 2 Front Squats + 2 Split Jerks - 48,5 kg x 1 x 3

Strength:
Deadlift - Set a new 5 Rep Max
1 x 5 x 107,5 kg

WOD:
AMRAP in 10 minutes:
- 5 Overhead Squats, 52,5 kg (scaled down from bodyweight)
- 5 Pullups, 10 kg (scaled down from 50 lbs)

Result: 5 rounds in 09:39